Tuesday, August 19, 2008

30 Years Down the Road

Unbelievably, this past weekend I attended my 30yr High School Reunion, Robert E. Peary High School 1978. I can't believe that I am old enough to remember anything that occurred 30 years ago. Come to think of it, I actually don't remember a whole lot about those years anyway. My son Brady asked me if the movie Dazed an Confused was an accurate portrayal of those years. I told him it might as well have been a National Geographic Documentary.

I wouldn't even have known about it or gone if it wasn't for one of my best friends for life, Phil. I'm sure glad he motivated me to go. I had a great time. The reunion itself was fun but the best part was afterwards. It ended at midnight and afterwards quickly boiled down to a core group of those who still remember how to party succesfully. When you see your old friends, even after 30 years, it's almost as though no time has passed at all. Gathered around our cars in the parking lot, bathed in the warm loving glow of sodium vapor, it took us all of 9 seconds to break out our coolers and revert to our old selves. We eventually broke up about 3;30 or 4am. Only because we all had at least a 1 hour drive home and being the responsible parents we all are figured we should get home before our kids woke up. The next day, or I guess later that same day, it felt good after seeing that so many of my friends had made happy succesful lives for themselves and their families.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Randy,
I can't believe how FAST 4 hours can fly by. The "party after the party" seemed like it was only for 15 minutes to me. Next thing I know, I'm not feeling like I'm OK to drive, so I had to high tail it outta there, or sleep it off in the car in the parking lot!

Anyway, SO good to see you again and to spend a few precious moments just kickin back and hangin out. No kids, no worries, no time constraints (well in relative terms, anyway). Just like the old days.

Your blog is great. Such a variety of topics and stuff. God bless ya!

Hey, was diggin through the boxes the other night to try to find some photos of the old West Side Story production, and guess what else I found? 3 black and whites of 3 certain youths all dressed up like KISS. Priceless!

Well, just wanted to leave a comment so you know I 'dropped by'.